Students enroll in the Department of Art for many reasons:
- To join a creative community that values innovation and critical thinking as much as it values technical skills and craftsmanship
- To develop a new relationship with the larger world both near and far
- To prepare for vital and exciting careers in the visual arts
- To explore the incredible natural beauty and amazing cultural opportunities of the mountains
- To receive a first-rate education that integrates the academic, social and artistic diversity of a large university while retaining the sense of community, innovation and support for which Appalachian State is famous.
Our six degree programs emphasize creative expression, innovation, real world problem-solving, academic rigor and technical skill. Regardless of your degree track, the Department will help you define your creative role in this ever-changing world.
You must apply and be admitted to the university. If you are a transfer student, visit our Transfer Admissions page.
I. APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITY
Apply to the university and indicate Art as your intended major on the application.
II. PORTFOLIO REVIEWS
A portfolio review is not required to apply to the university, but the following programs require one after the completion of a proscribed number of courses as a prerequisite to taking upper level courses:
STUDENT ORIENTATION SESSIONS
If you are accepted, it is important for you to attend one of the Incoming Student Orientation Sessions offered by the university and in the department. Whether you are a Transfer Student or a First Term Freshman, there you will be advised as to which courses to register for in your first term at ASU.
Something about foundations
Carina in a Foundations classroom. Say something about you building on foundations no matter what your major. Foundations classes are a foundtion. College is a foundation. Etc.
The strengths of my major? Great professors, great applications to life beyond college, great emphasis on conceptual and technical development of work in order to have fully refined and distinguished pieces.
Sope Kahn, BFA Studio Art major
BFA Studio Art Reception at Smith Gallery
Graphic Design Seniors at Alumni Portfolio Review
Friends making art outside of Wey Hall
Making make art happen
Introduction to Art Education students celebrating with visiting artist Ed Woodham and the procession parade.