Art+Design Expo is an annual juried student art exhibition co-sponsored by the Art and Applied Design departments and hosted by the Smith Gallery. Expo features outstanding student art across the creative spectrum and is open to all students at Appalachian State.
This year’s exhibition will run from January 29-February 21, 2019. Prizes will be awarded for Best in Show, 1st prize, 2nd prize, and 3rd prize. Purchase Awards will be given by the Appalachian Permanent Collection at Plemmons Student Union and a People’s Choice Award) will be selected through votes collected during the exhibition.
Call for Entries
The Smith Gallery is pleased to announce a call for entries for Art+Design Expo 2019. Students who submit work to the exhibition will also be automatically eligible to enter a lottery for a studio visit with this year’s juror, Jennifer Sudul Edwards.
Students in Art and in Applied Design are strongly encouraged to apply. Submit up to six works for consideration through Slideroom at appstate.slideroom.com. Submissions will be accepted from November 27–December 15.
Students may submit work in any media that pertains to the production of art and design. On the design end, the exhibition committee encourages submissions related to prototypes, plans, digital renderings and examples of fashion, product, furniture, interior and graphic design. On the art end they encourage projects in: printmaking, painting, performance art, installation, video, photography, sculpture, interactive, ceramics, metalwork and fibers. The exhibition juror will review all of the submitted works and select the pieces that will go on display at the Smith Gallery in the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts, as well as cash prizes.
Prizes will be awarded for Best in Show ($300), 1st prize ($200), 2nd prize ($150), and 3rd prize ($100). Purchase Awards will be given by the Appalachian Permanent Collection at Plemmons Student Union. A People’s Choice Award ($150) will be selected through votes collected during the exhibition. Students who submit work to the exhibition will also be automatically eligible to enter a lotter for a studio visit with Sudul Edwards.
Jennifer Sudul Edwards, is an independent curator based in Charlotte, NC, where she co-founded and co-organizes the public arts programming platform, Spheres Series and serves on the Board at Goodyear Arts. She is currently working to put together the exhibition “W/ALL,” which will examine historic use of walls and the artistic treatment of them over the centuries, for the Annenberg Space for Photography in Los Angeles. This project is co-curated with Katie Hollander and will open in September 2019. Sudul Edwards was the curator at the Bechtler from 2015-2018.
Eligibility and More Information
- Art+Design Expo 2019 is open to all students currently enrolled in any ASU course for credit.
- All media are eligible. Each student may submit up to six works of original art or design.
- All works entered must have been created within the past three years and not previously shown in The Smith Gallery. All works must be properly registered, labeled, displayed, and picked up according to the rules and dates listed in this prospectus.
- All works selected for the Art+Design Expo 2019 exhibition must be properly labeled and ready to hang or display. All works must be dropped off and picked up on the correct days and times listed in Important Dates.
- The Smith Gallery attempts to accommodate and support all exhibiting artists by providing installation assistance, advice, and support materials (such as pedestals and vitrines) for objects on display.
- Label all works with your name, title of piece, medium, date, price, and size (HxWxD). Attach this label to the lower right corner of the front of the artwork. All information on the labels must correspond to the information submitted through Slideroom.
- A Loan Agreement must be filled out and signed at the time of delivery.
- All exhibiting artists must abide by the deadlines listed in Key Dates.
- November 27-December 15: Open submissions through Slideroom.
- January 9: Announcement of selections for Exhibition by email.
- January 24: Work drop off, 9-5 pm
- January 29–February 21: Exhibition
- February 22: Work pick up, 10-1 pm
For additional information on Art+Design Expo 2019, please contact Jennie Carlisle at firstname.lastname@example.org.