Art + Design Expo is the annual juried student exhibition organized by the Smith Gallery and the Department of Art on exhibition in February 2024. Students may submit work in any media that pertains to the production of art and design. On the design end, we encourage submissions related to prototypes, plans, digital renderings and examples of fashion, product, furniture, interior and graphic design. On the art end we encourage projects in: printmaking, painting, performance art, installation, video, photography, sculpture, interactive, ceramics, metalwork and fibers. A jury team will review all of the submitted works and select the pieces that will go on display at the Smith Gallery in the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts.
The Art & Design Expo is open to all students enrolled at ASU. Students in Art and in Applied Design are strongly encouraged to apply. Submit up to 3 works for consideration via this application form.
This year’s juror is Andrew Wang from the North Carolina Museum of Art. It is up to the full discretion of the juror to determine what works are selected for the show, and how many to include.
The juror will select works for inclusion in the exhibition and award prizes for Best in Show ($300), 1st prize ($200), 2nd prize ($150), and 3rd prize ($100). Purchase Awards will be given by the Appalachian Permanent Collection at Plemmons Student Union. A People’s Choice Award ($150) will be selected through votes collected during the exhibition.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Art + Design Expo 2024 is open to all students currently enrolled in any ASU course for credit.
- All media are eligible. Each student may submit up to three works of original art or design.
- All works entered must have been created within the past three years and not previously shown in The Smith Gallery. All works must be properly registered, labeled, displayed, and picked up according to the rules and dates listed in this prospectus.
- All works selected for the Art + Design Expo 2024 exhibition must be properly labeled and ready to hang or display. All works must be dropped off and picked up on the correct days and times listed in Important Dates..
- The Smith Gallery attempts to accommodate and support all exhibiting artists by providing installation assistance, advice, and support materials (such as pedestals and vitrines) for objects on display.
- Label all works with your name, title of piece, medium, date, price, and size (HxWxD). Attach this label to the lower right corner of the front of the artwork. All information on the labels must correspond to the information submitted through Slideroom.
- A Loan Agreement must be filled out and signed at the time of delivery.
- All exhibiting artists must abide by the deadlines listed in Important Dates.
If you need information or assistance from the Smith Gallery, please contact Jennie Carlisle at email@example.com. Participation in this exhibition and your completed application indicate an understanding of the gallery usage policies and rules & regulations pertaining to this exhibition. The gallery reserves the right to not exhibit any artwork due to a failure to comply with any of the above policies.
- Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:59pm: Application deadline
- Monday, January 8, 2024: Annoucements of work accepted to the exhibition
- January 30 & 31 (Tues, Weds): Drop off of accepted work
- February 6–23: Exhibition
- Thursday, February 22, 5–7pm: Awards Ceremony + Reception
- Friday February 23, 10–4pm: Work pick up